Press Release<< Back
Avid Introduces Media Composer 6—The Industry's Leading Editing System Raises the Bar with Openness and 64-bit Performance
New 64-bit Media Composer, Symphony and NewsCutter offer unparalleled workflow speed, flexibility and time savings; available for Mac OS and Windows
Avid Media Composer version 6 (Photo: Business Wire)
Media Composer version 6, Symphony version 6 and NewsCutter version 10 are rebuilt from the core on an entirely new open, 64-bit architecture that raises the bar for performance, flexibility and productivity. With this version, Avid is also introducing a sleek, new User Interface—designed to speed workflows while simultaneously preserving the same functionality that so many professionals have built their careers on. In addition, these systems include support for third-party hardware, AVCHD and RED Epic support with Avid Media Access (AMA), an Avid DNxHD® 444 codec, and support for Avid Artist Color.
Together with existing Avid innovations such as AMA, for direct access
to file-based media; Avid PhraseFind,
More Open, More Flexible
- Leverage existing hardware investments and easily add Avid editing systems into current workflow configurations thanks to the new Avid Open I/O, which enables support for popular video and audio cards from AJA Video Systems, Blackmagic Design, Bluefish444, Matrox and MOTU.
- Easily incorporate Avid's high-performance hardware video accelerator, Avid Nitris ® DX—the most versatile and powerful video hardware system optimized for Avid editing systems—into high-profile film or TV workflows through its availability as a standalone hardware purchase at a new, reduced price. Nitris DX is available with one or two Avid DNxHD or AVC-Intra chips and supports full resolution and full frame stereoscopic workflows.
- With Symphony software, experience greater flexibility and choice for on-set and mobile editorial and color work, or meet increased facility capacity—now available as a software-only solution, at a lower cost.
Enhanced Integration for the Most Demanding Post Production Workflows
- Increase flexibility for editorial and finishing with enhanced Pro Tools® integration and 5.1/7.1 surround and extensive metadata management, which allows the transfer of more session data from Media Composer to Pro Tools. Additional metadata is available in the AAF interchange format. Extensive 5.1/7.1 surround support is also fully compatible with Pro Tools through the improved AAF capabilities.
- Maintain a familiar and trusted editorial process with new, industry-defining 3D stereoscopic workflows that offer full resolution, real-time editing, mixed eye workflows as well as a deep toolset, with title and conversion control. Editors can also easily export metadata into Avid or other third-party finishing systems for grading and high-end effects.
- Preserve full color information from HD RGB 4:4:4 sources without compromising system performance or storage through the new Avid DNxHD 444, a high-quality HD codec. Avid DNxHD 444 can help significantly enhance real-time HD production productivity with the highest color detail possible, is suitable for the most demanding productions, and is also an ideal archiving format.
Additional New Editorial Capabilities to Increase Workflow Speed and Productivity
- Gain greater power and flexibility in high performance color correction with support for the Avid Artist Color control surface within Avid editing systems.
- Speed time to editing by eliminating timely transcode, re-wrap, and log and transfer processes through expanded AMA, which now offers native support for AVCHD and RED Epic as well as the ability to encode Apple ProRes (Mac OS-based systems only).
Ease and expedite workflows and toolset expansion with the new
Avid Marketplace, which offers in-system access to stock footage from Thought Equity Motion. The Avid Marketplacealso enables customers to browse available video and audio plug-ins along with other products in the Avid Storeto complete a suite.
- Get questions answered quickly with a new Customer Assist Tool, offering direct, in-app access to guides, help, and configuration information.
- Gain up to 2.5 times faster encoding with Sorenson Squeeze v8, included with Media Composer, NewsCutter, and Symphony software.
"Time and creativity is money for our customers, and they are looking
for solutions that can help them continue to advance the art of creative
storytelling without adding technological complexity," said
What Customers are Saying
"The real value of the new Media Composer and Symphony systems is enhanced
interoperability and openness—it all comes down to labor," said
"With Media Composer 6, those of us who invested in hardware for Final
Cut Pro can transition to Avid, easily and painlessly. I'm pleased,"
"Anyone who works in 3D is going to work on Media Composer going
forward. It's just THE system to do that on now," said
Concurrent with the launch of today's announcement, Avid is introducing
Vantage™ Program, an annual membership program for Media Composer
and Symphony customers that provides many great benefits. The Avid
Vantage Program—which is also available to Pro Tools customers—provides
subscribers with unlimited online technical support, plus deeply
discounted expert phone support when they need it. They also gain access
to a great collection of NewBlueFX effects (for Media Composer or
Symphony subscribers) or audio plug-ins (for Pro Tools subscribers).
And, for a limited time, they'll receive a high-value
Avid plans to host a public webcast with a live Q&A to discuss the new
capabilities of Media Composer, NewsCutter and Symphony software at
Pricing and Availability
New versions of Media Composer, Symphony and NewsCutter software will be
Pricing for Media Composer 6.0 starts at
$2499 USD. Upgrade pricing starts at $299 USD.
NewsCutter 10 starts at
$2499 USD. Upgrade pricing starts at $499 USD.
Pricing for Symphony 6.0 starts at
$5,999 USD. Upgrade pricing starts at $499 USD.
Nitris DX starts at
Pricing for Media Composer Academic version 6.0 starts at
$295USMSRP for educational institutions and students.
Final Cut Pro (excluding Final Cut Pro X) users can purchase Media
Composer with free online training to help them move from Final Cut
Pro to Media Composer, for
Avid Vantage Program
The new Avid Vantage Program will be available during Q4 2011 to Media
Composer, Symphony and Pro Tools users with all of the great benefits
described above, for
Avid creates the digital audio and video technology used to make the
most listened to, most watched and most loved media in the world — from
the most prestigious and award-winning feature films, music recordings,
television shows, live concert tours and news broadcasts, to music and
movies made at home. Some of Avid's most influential and pioneering
solutions include Media Composer, Pro Tools, Interplay®, ISIS®, VENUE,
Sibelius®, System 5, and
Customers noted in this release participated in the Avid beta program. As part of this program, active participants may receive consideration in the form of a product.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50053989&lang=en
News Provided by Acquire Media